What Do Cockroaches Eat?
Normally, cockroaches will eat what all humans like to eat. That's why cockroaches are more visible in the kitchens, food storage and prep areas of homes with infestations.They are omnivorous scavengers and eat everything which is organic but like sweets, starches and meat. Cockroaches can also eat books, decaying matter and even hair. Actually, they’ll eat almost anything and hence aren't very choosey.
Few species of cockroaches may eat what is available to them like cockroaches that inhabit sewers feed on sewage. Similarly, while cockroaches living on dead trees eat decaying wood.
However, it must be noted that cockroaches can eat a lot of other items when they have nothing else to eat. These items could include book bindings, paper, wallpaper paste and the glue on the back of stamps or anything which have starch into it. Cockroaches, in search for protein, can eat dead insects, skin of the animal and even human hair and fingernails.
A cockroach can live almost a month without food and about 2 weeks without water. Now, this means that you can't starve them out and they may be waiting just inside your home or outside in your walls.
If you think that your home is infested with cockroaches and all your efforts to control them have failed, then you must call a professional pest control company. Essen Pest Control is once such company and you can contact them at 613 804 7378.You may also like to read:
- Cockroaches on the rise in Ottawa?
- Interesting facts about cockroaches
- German cockroach: Facts & Information
- Diseases that cockroaches carry
- Do Cockroaches Bite? Symptoms & Treatment
- What smell do cockroaches give off?
- Ottawa: 1 in 3 ticks carrying Lyme disease
- What harm can cockroaches do to humans?
- Rat Removal: Solving the Rat Problem
- Getting Rid of Wasp: Wasp Nest Removal
- How to keep your home pest free
- How to get rid of bed bugs
- How to get rid of cockroaches
- How to get rid of mites
- The most dangerous spiders found in Ottawa
- What are Carpenter Ants?